Thursday, October 8, 2009

Nick Hornby Book Signing



I just got home from the Nick Hornby book reading/signing/Q&A at the El Cerrito Plaza Barnes and Noble. It was fantastic and even though Dave Eggers is going to be accompanying Hornby on stage @ the Herbst Theater tomorrow night in the city (of course, it's sold out), I definitely enjoyed the intimacy of tonight's event. Hearing him read from Juliet, Naked changed some of my opinions of the book. There are subtle layers of humor that I may have overlooked or sped through when I was reading it on my own. Maybe in a few years I'll read it again and be able to appreciate it on an entirely different level, which is an interesting thought considering the book's plot.
Here's the rundown:
-Hornby is v. proud of  
An Education (he wrote the screenplay). I was under the impression that the source material was book length (something that I suppose could have been cleared up with a simple Google search), but apparently it was just a 10-page piece published in Granta. Like his novels (and I guess most British cinema), the film is dialogue heavy. I didn't think that I could be any more excited about this movie than I already was, but tonight has put me on the brink of mind explosion. Peter Sarsgaard. Nick Hornby. This movie is going to be so awesome, I just know it (!) Thanks to the internet(s), there's some Oscar buzz surrounding it and tonight while I was staring at Hornby, who seems to be a v. sweet guy, I was just thinking about how cool it would be if he were nominated for an Academy Award. Fingers crossed.
Here's the trailer....

-His advise for writers=do 500 words a day, which doesn't seem like much, but over three months you'll have finished that novel, or at least reached a novely-length.
-He didn't say anything bad about any of the films that have been adapted from his work (including the Farrelly Bros. helmed 
Fever Pitch). Like I said, he's v. sweet.
-He's short-ish.
-He's a Dickens fan and says despite their length, the books have punch. As far as Dickens on film/TV goes, he recommends the recent adaptation of 
Bleak House starring Gillian Anderson.
-Anne Tyler is the writer who made him want to be a writer.